Sunday, July 19, 2009

Friends through the decades

1944 - My grandma (Mama) and Anne washing my mom and Donna's baby bottles. (Both grandma's were 25 years old.)

Years ago, my grandparents became friends with a couple who had a daughter. I remembered this picture of my grandma (the one facing the camera) and her friend Anne and got it out just the other day. The year was around 1944 and they were at the kitchen sink together washing baby bottles for Judy (my mom), and Donna (Anne's daughter and my mom's friend.) I found out just this week that this picture was taken when Anne's husband was in the Coast Guard. Anne and Donna stayed with my grandparents in California for a period of time before meeting Anne's husband in Long Beach after he came home from the war. It had been at least 6 months before he saw his baby girl for the first time.

Years later, in the 1980's Donna and her three boys (Mike, Steve and Paul), and my mom and her two girls (my sister and I) lived close enough in California where my mom and Donna were able to re-connect. Us kids were all in our early teens and we saw Donna and her boys often. My mom and Donna were so close that they considered and still do consider themselves cousins. I remember that we had a lot of fun with the boys but they ended up moving to Kansas several years later and we stayed in California.


July 15, 2009 - Michelle, Steve and my sister Robin


Just last week my sister Robin and I had the opportunity to have dinner with Steve. (Steve and I are the same age and it has been many years since we have seen him). He was in California for business so we met up with him and reminisced over the "good old days". We had a really great time and I was reminded about life, friendship and the different paths that we take that sometimes come back to cross again. I bet my grandparents never thought about the fact that the two families would still remain friends even 60+ years later. It made me wish I could pick up the phone and tell my grandmother (Mama) about our dinner but unfortunately she is no longer in her earthly home. However, I do know that one day, our paths will one day meet again and when it does, we are going to have the most amazing reunion.

Have a great week! Who is it that you have re-connected with lately, or would like to?


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle!!!! I actually reconnected with my high school best friend, and it's like we never lost touch. love it!

    ReplyDelete