Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11 . . .


I still remember 9/11 - where I was, what I was doing. It was unbelievable sitting by the television almost all day, watching the horrors unfold . . . over, and over, and over again. I remember that I was about 3 month pregnant with Landon. Savannah was four years old and Emma was still a baby. I remember asking myself what I was doing bringing children into this horrible world. I remember watching a woman in a bright colored dress, holding hands with a man as they jumped to their death. I wondered if they knew each other before they decided to die together. What were their choices? Die by jumping to their death or die by fire? What would I have done? I shudder to think.


I remember the aftermath . . . sadness, camaraderie, patriotism. We all had flags on our cars, and outside our homes. In fact, it was difficult to find a flag during those times. I remember how much we seemed to all love America. I remember when we went to war and in my naivety, never realizing it would last so long . . . necessary but so very long.


As I look back, I wonder what has happened to us as a country. Where is our patriotism? Where is our love? It seems we have forgotten all that we saw, all that we experienced, all that we learned. I am thankful for the heroes that still remain. I think about all of them when I begin to worry that our great country can't get any lower. I hope you take the time to remember. It is something we should never forget.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment