Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Into the New Year . . . 2009

December 27, 2008
Our Family

Here we are, 7 whole days into a brand new year. I like the beginning of a new year because it always brings about a fresh beginning. (I do however hate the paperwork part of it such as getting tax information together, and making new files for the new year.) I am just not a paperwork type of gal. I do enjoy writing, but that is not the same thing, is it?

Christmas was nice, we had some family here on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day was just us 5! This was the first year in our lives that we have never had to be somewhere on Christmas Day. Needless to say, we took the day at a lazy pace. After breakfast and opening presents, we went to see a couple of movies. I highly recommend seeing "Marley & Me" but it was quite a tear jerker so bring your Kleenex. We also saw "Bedtime Stories". This movie was cute, the kids will like it. One thing I did not know is that more people than you would think decide to see movies on Christmas Day. And, you might want to eat while you're there because good luck finding anything that is open afterwards!


The Saturday after Christmas, we drove to Escondido to spend time with Kevin's side of the family, which included his sister Michelle, her family, aunt's, uncle's and cousins. It was a lot of fun and a lot of good food! Fortunately for us, Michelle was kind enough to load us up with a bunch of her special cookies. Needless to say, Kevin ate his way through them in no time flat. I didn't dare stick my hand into the cookie container if he was anywhere near for fear of pulling my arm back with missing fingers, perhaps even the whole hand! (Maybe I should bake a little more?)

2008 was a hard year for a lot of people. I pray that 2009 will be much better. We have felt the lull of the economy too but amazingly, Kevin has stayed fairly consistent with the home inspections. That has been a blessing, which has allowed us to stay afloat. The business is still fairly "new" and a new business definitely does take some time to grow roots. Fortunately I have a husband who is willing to do whatever it takes to get those roots to grow! (Even if he has to force them into the ground!)

Emmie-Lou Designs, my jewelry business is still doing well also. I have some new ideas swimming around in my brain for the new year. I am hoping to spend more time with the hand-stamping. I love the stamped jewelry because the jewelry can be so personalized. I will have to see what I come up with this year.

December 2008
JCA Spelling Bee Winner's


The kids are doing great. They are enjoying school and all three of them are going to the ACSI District Spelling Bee this year! This will be Savannah's 6th year, Emma's 2nd, and Landon's 1st! Needless to say, there is a lot of preparation and hard work that goes into learning the many lists of spelling words. It is a team effort in which the parents and children must be highly motivated. This year the Bee is Friday, January 30th, so wish us luck! We are currently in hard-core study mode.



December 2008 - Soccer!


Emma and Landon just finished up their regular soccer season. Kevin coached Landon's team this year and it went fairly well. (If only the parents were as committed as Kevin was!) Landon just enjoyed his first year of soccer and having his daddy as the coach. This was Em's second year and her team is currently in the playoffs. They have a game this Friday night so we will see what happens from there. If they lose, this will be the final game of the season, but if they win, there will be more games to come!


November 2008
Relay for Life Ballet Performance


Savannah is still dancing ballet and loving it. This is her 9th year. She danced with her dance mates at the "Relay for Life" in November, and of course they will begin to prepare for their recital in June very soon!

I don't know how many of you blog but I was talking to a couple of friends this morning and we all enjoy scrap booking but it is so hard to keep current with. The idea of copying an ongoing blog onto nice card stock and placing it an album was discussed. I thought this was a great idea! It is now a new goal to attain this year! (Along with my regular and far too infrequent scrap booking of course.) I didn't make any real "resolutions" this year, but I did decide to have some attainable goals. One would be too make sure I feed my family healthy food. I have always tried, but during the holidays I got a little lax, just because of all of the craziness. This is something that I am really going to work on this year.

So what are your dreams, hopes and aspirations for the new year? Whatever they are, I hope that they are all attained. Have a very blessed 2009!

Love,

Michelle (and family)

No comments:

Post a Comment