Friday, April 17, 2009

Remembering Grandma Magee . . .


Grandma,

Today would have been your 72nd birthday. The kids and I talk about you all of the time. They miss you. So do I. I could never have asked for a better mother in-law. You made me feel more like a daughter than a daughter in-law.

This is about the time of year that you would call me and ask for the kids shoes sizes. Soon afterwards they would each get a package in the mail with a brand new pair of Saltwater Sandals inside. It was almost like the beginning of summer had arrived once they received those shoes. Each summer they looked forward to spending alone time with you and Grandpa. You spoiled them rotten while they were there; buying them little goodies and letting them eat anything their little hearts desired. (All of the things we never let let them do at home.) Kevin and I may have tried to act tough about it (yeah right), but secretly we smiled. After all, that is what grandparents are for.

I used to love to watch you at Christmas time. You loved to give gifts. You always went overboard because of this, but it was something that was a part of you. I enjoyed watching your face as each person opened their gift from you. I am not sure who was more delighted; you or them.

The Christmas after you left us just a few short years ago arrived shortly after your earthly departure. Michelle had lovingly wrapped gifts for each of us; things that you wanted us to have. I cried my eyeballs out when I opened my gift to find the wedding ring inside that you wore everyday. I can still recall the way your hands looked with that ring on your finger. I wear it proudly now, and it is a way for me to hold you closely to my heart. If I still long for you as much as I do, I cannot imagine how Kevin and Michelle also feel. I do know there is now a hole in their heart that can never be filled.

Our lives are just not the same without you now, but we look forward to one day seeing you because we know you are in a much better place where your heart is now whole. Happy Birthday Mom/Grandma/Toni/Pinky. We miss miss you and love you so very much!
Love,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you - what a sweet post.

    If you will, please say a prayer for my MIL - she fell today and broke her hip - will be having surgery Sat morning - she is 85.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete