Thursday, April 9, 2009

To my love on our 15th wedding anniversary . . .

April 9, 1994


My Love,

Happy Anniversary. Where have the past 15 years gone? We have often talked about how our life together seems like an eternity, like we have always "been". It is no wonder that when an older couple have been married for so long and one dies, the other tends to follow. It would be that way with me, what reason would there be to stay? I would want to follow you to our true home in heaven. But other times I am chasing after time, trying to get it back. I am left wondering where all of this glorious time has gone. Weren't we just married yesterday?

I wasn't always the wife you deserve. In fact, I am still on that journey. Your have been so patient, so kind, so true. You don't hold who I am against me. You see me at my best, and you see me at my worst. Always you are patient. Always you understand, always you love. You tell me I am beautiful, even more so than when we got married. How can that be? Can't you see the wrinkles trying to form? The graying hair that I am so good at hiding, or the other body issues and challenges that I won't begin to get into? You don't see the me that I see, and for that, I am grateful.

We have three absolutely beautiful children. We are blessed . . . absolutely blessed. You are modeling to Savannah and Emma what a husband and a father should be. You are showing them how a lady should be treated, and they are "true" little ladies. If they find a husband even half as wonderful as you are, I will not worry about them because I know they will be safe, they will be secure, they will be loved.

You are teaching Landon what it is to be a man. I know it to be true because of how he treats me. He holds doors open for me, he tells me I am beautiful, and he wraps his sweet arms around me and kisses me with his whole soul. You are raising him to be a warrior, a hero, a man of God. I am proud of you both.

You work hard. You never complain, even when you have every right, even when you are tired. Often you are awake before me, pulling the covers up to my chin and kissing be goodbye in the morning. Those are some of my very favorite moments. Every evening you eat dinner with me and the kids, you tuck them into bed and pray with them. Sometimes you are gone for awhile because one of them has asked you to lay down with them just for a little bit, and you do; but you both fall asleep because you are tired too. Your work day doesn't stop there because you still have paperwork to do. You do it, and of course, without complaint.

I could go on and on with the stories, like the time you dressed as Winnie-the-Pooh at our now almost 12 year old Savannah's baby shower. I didn't realize it was you until at least halfway through the shower!

I will always remember how sad we were to learn that we had lost our first baby to miscarriage. One week the heartbeat was there and the next week it was not. I was so very sad. In the shower one night, you found me crying and you jumped right in, clothes and all, so you could wrap your arms around me and hold me until the tears stopped.

I remember when your mom died and how you stood up and spoke at her funeral. My heart hurt so much for you. You were so worried about your sister, wanting and needing to be the "big brother", offering comfort to her, when you were hurting too. You are an amazing "big brother". Even to my own sister, you are there, loving her like she is your own little sister.

You are there for my niece and nephews, making sure you are at the boys' games. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Even with your crazy, busy work schedule, you are there because it is important to you, and to them.

I love getting to spend my life with you. I get to be home, raising our children, doing the things that make our house a home. I want you to know how much I appreciate it; how much I appreciate you . . . for all of the small things and all of the big things that you do. I am so glad that you are mine. I love and treasure you with all of my heart. Happy 15th anniversary Honey!

Love,


Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Happy 15th Anniversary to you and Kevin! Enjoy your celebration:o)

    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete