Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nobody said it was easy . . .


For those of you who don't know, Landon has been gluten-free for a little over a year and a half.  To make a long story short, we found out that he had many allergies; gluten and dairy being two of them.  Since taking the gluten and dairy out of his diet, things  have been much improved for him.  However, living this way as a little boy is not always easy.  I can understand. 

About a week ago, I found a folded up flour tortilla in his room, on the  floor.  I thought it odd, but just picked it up and threw it in the trash.  A few days ago, his sister came to me with 2 folded up tortillas that she had found under his bed.  I asked him about it and all he could say was, "it's hard!"  And you know what, it is!  Making important life changes to ones diet is not easy. For him, it is gluten, and dairy.  For me, it is going full-tilt Paleo . . . most of the time.  I can't say that I will NEVER eat mexican food  again, or tart frozen yogurt with fruit on top, or pizza . . . because I can't imagine it. But  I know it will  be the exception and not the rule.

Kevin and I get up at 4:30 three times a week to go to boot camp at 5:00 in the morning.    I am not a morning person, and it is hard.  In fact, we have a new trainer now, and  the routine is different.  I find myself struggling through it, and not liking it much of the time.  I get frustrated thinking that I should be a lot further along, but I then have to remind myself that most of the population wouldn't even be able to do what I have been doing . . . and a year ago, I wouldn't have been able to do it either.  I remind myself to have perspective.

For me it is about the quest for optimum health throughout the rest of my life.  I want my family to be healthy too.  Kevin has a lot of health issues on his side of the family.  He lost both of his parents so I know he can't take his health lightly. 

I urge you to begin somewhere  - anywhere.  Just get started.  One step at a time, one day at a time.  Don't expect perfection, but just do something.  You  can do it - just like we're doing it.

 I am going to help my son by no longer buying flour tortillas for his sisters.  We have brown rice tortillas, and corn tortillas and everyone can eat those.  My hope is that the kids will one day be more Paleo too, but just because I dove in, I need to give them grace on their journey.  And yes I am the parent, but still . . . it is their journey and they have to want to do it.  Small steps equal great big steps in the long run, so take those small steps, won't you?

Happy Wednesday!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment